Monday, July 6, 2015

An Introduction to Extreme Couponing

Coupons.  This word brings a lot of images to mind, some good and some bad.  Who hasn't been in line behind some crazy person hunting for coupons in their purse?  I know that I have.  I think that coupons have gotten a bad rap.  When I tell people that I'm an extreme couponer, either they think that I'm a hoarder or am just totally crazy.  Well, I'm definitely not a hoarder, and I'm not that crazy.
A freebie from a store rewards program.
Let's be honest, who doesn't like getting things for free?  I can't think of a single person.  I have been extreme couponing for about a year and a half now and I can tell you that I have saved over $2,000 so far this year with couponing.  Last year I saved over $9,000.  I definitely put that money I saved to good use.  

One of my coupon hauls.
There are a few key things to couponing, store rewards programs, sales cycles, and finally the coupons themselves.  An extreme couponer uses all of these things to find the best deals and stock up enough to last until the next sale cycle (usually 3-6 months).

A smaller coupon haul.
Couponing isn't for everyone.  It takes some dedication to get started and you do have to update your coupon binder (folio or file) every week to keep up to date.  It's embarrassing to use an expired coupon, trust me on this.  But, if you like getting the best possible deal and don't mind taking the time to work at it, then maybe couponing is for you.

My husband enjoying a freebie meal.
Another aspect of my bargain-hunting lifestyle is signing up for free samples any way I can.  One way I do this is with a website called Bzzagent.  That's where the above pictured freebie meal came from.  In order to get these freebies I fill out surveys and post reviews of the products that they send me.  Some of you might think that's too much work for too little reward.  But, it doesn't take me much time and I like to get the most bang for my buck.  Who doesn't spend time just mindlessly browsing the internet, why not get a freebie out of it?

If you liked this post and want to hear more specifics about extreme couponing, comment below and I'll work on some more specific posts.  This is just an introduction into the idea of extreme couponing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment