Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Vanilla Coffee Creamer

In my post yesterday I mentioned a new recipe I tried for coffee creamer.  I found it in Pure Vanilla by: Shauna Sever.  This book is so amazing, I read it like a novel from cover to cover.  I highly recommend checking it out.  If you don't want to go out and buy it, you could probably borrow it from your local library.  That's where I found the copy that I read.  Now this book focuses on vanilla as the central flavor to each recipe.  But, the coffee creamer recipe is very versatile.  If you want a different flavor, just add any extracts or spices your heart desires from cinnamon to almond extract.  You only need 3 ingredients to make this: 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 1 1/2 cups milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream (I used 2% organic milk), and 1 whole vanilla bean, spit lengthwise.  You need to combine all of these simple ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.  Take the pan off the burner when it starts steaming (don't let it start to simmer!) and then cover and let sit for 15 minutes.  Make sure you strain it, so you don't get vanilla bean chunks, when you put it in your storage container.  I put mine in an old honey jar!  It keeps for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator and the recipe makes about 2 cups of creamer.
Vanilla coffee creamer.

Now I don't drink coffee, but my husband has at least one cup every day.  I don't think I ever want to go back to buying coffee creamer.  Have you ever read the ingredient labels on one of those fancy flavored creamers?  There are WAYYY too many obscure things in there.  This recipe is short and sweet; it gets right to the point.  Who doesn't love that?

Interested in learning more about vanilla and all of the different varieties produced in the world?  Check out Pure Vanilla by: Shauna Sever.  It's part recipes, part personal experience, and part vanilla history.  It's a great read!

Vanilla biscotti recipe from the same cookbook.

1 comment: